2008年11月13日木曜日

human castles in Spain

I am gong to talk about history of human castles festival. This festival began in the 17th century and was originally a dance called the Valencian Dance. At the end of this dance a small group of people stood on other's shoulders to create a tower of people. The people that joined this dance at town festivals belonged to the ploughmen's trade guild. According to a Catalan cultural organization called "Carrutxa," this dance was called the Valencian Dance because the word "Valentium" means strength in Latin. Gradually, groups of people began to form the Human Tower aspect of the dance.

Next, I am gong to show you how to make human castles. There are three parts to a castle. The base, or “pinya”, of the castle is formed by a group of people who stand together with their hands twisted together and can hold up to 300 people. Then people stand on top of the base to form a tree like trunk, or “tronc”, with a certain people on each story. And a “pom de dalt” or knob like structure is formed at the top, usually crowned with a small child because they are lighter. When the child reaches the top, he or she waves by signaling the completion of the castle. The end result looks like a human wedding cake! Teams which create the highest castle without anyone falling are considered the winner.

4 件のコメント:

minami さんのコメント...

I would like to see those human towers.
It could be dangarous to make them.
But it looks very exciting!

Nacchan さんのコメント...

I want to join the human castle. I read your blog and bacame interested in it. The picture is nice.

UVER♡ さんのコメント...

I think this festival is very interesting. Especilly I was interested by way of making human castles! Someday I want to go Spain and enjoy this festival.

Miyuki さんのコメント...

This festival is so interesting. When I saw picture of human tower, I remembered sport festival in junior high school!